Title 1 Information
Mackey Elementary School Mesquite Independent School District
PARENT INVOLVEMENT-POLICY STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Mackey Elementary is dedicated to providing a quality education for every student in the district. The school will develop and maintain partnerships with parents/caregivers, patrons, and community members. The school will involve parents/caregivers in all aspects of the various local, state, and federal programs offered in Mesquite ISD. By maintaining open lines of communication, the learning opportunities and environment for every child will be enhanced.
PARENT INVOLVEMENT IN POLICY DEVELOPMENT
The Mackey Elementary Site-Based Decision Making (SBDM) Committee is comprised of parents, members of the community, teachers, and the school administrator. This committee will discuss the design and implementation of the Parent Involvement Policy. The SBDM Committee will actively recruit volunteers for the advisory committee. Committee selections will produce a diverse parent population that will include all student groups serviced by the school. Hispanic parents will be involved and the committee will arrange for translators to help with communications. Meetings will be planned at convenient times and locations for all members of the committee.
In accordance with Title 1 regulations, Mesquite ISD has developed and will annually update a parent-student compact. The compact is designed so that both the student and his/her parents can sign it. Students and parents are encouraged to discuss the contents of the compact, sign that they are in agreement with the compact, and return it to the school. This compact is given to all parents at the beginning of the school year and to new students as they enter. A portion of this compact follows:
In order to ensure your child's success, the teaching staff realizes that the school, parents, and students share the responsibility for student success. We would like parents to commit to providing support for their child. We also think the student has a responsibility in their own learning. Please sit down with your child and discuss what responsibilities you will share with your child.
The school staff will:
- provide an atmosphere that fosters learning, provide opportunities
- for success, and help to develop responsible, caring, independent students.
- provide an integrated, balanced curricular program using the MISD Courses of Study and addressing the assessed needs of all students.
- recognize the various cultural diversities within the school community.
- communicate regularly with parents through newsletters and parent contacts.
The parents will:
- participate in school activities, including parent education programs, parent/teacher conferences, open house, and other related programs.
- actively monitor homework and school attendance.
- work closely with the classroom teacher to ensure the success of their children.
The student will:
- be active participants in their own learning.
- be responsible learners.
- complete all class work and homework.
- attend school regularly.
Compliance with P.L.107-110, Section 1111(h)(6)(A)
Notification to Parents of Teacher Qualifications If requested by parents, Federal law requires every school district to provide information in a timely manner regarding the professional qualifications of classroom teachers.
As a parent of a student at Mackey Elementary, you have the right to request the following information concerning your child's teacher should you desire to do so:
- Whether the teacher meets the state qualifications and licensing criteria for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.
- Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or provisional status because of special circumstances.
- The teacher's college major, whether the teacher has any advanced degrees, and the field of discipline of the certification or degree.
- Whether paraprofessionals provide services to your child and, if so, their qualifications.
We are providing you with this letter as a matter of procedure. If you would like to receive any of this information, please contact Mesquite ISO Personnel Office at 972-882-7368.